From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 06:22:11 -0400
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in China and thought that Lactnetters might appreciate
hearing how the death of babies from poor quality infant formaul is being
discussed here.
I watched a China Central TV English language current affairs program the
other day that went into the ins and out of the response to this tragedy.
They talked about how poor rural people don't have the resources to pay
what people in the city do for infant formulas. How in the country only
cheap formula will sell (1y/can vs 10y/can). How gullible rural people will
believe what they are told and don't suspect that there could be a problem
with products. They talked about how fines for selling low standard
products like this are not big enough and don't discourage manufacturers
becaus ethey can make a heap of money from them. Not once did they ask why
on earth these people are using the stuff to start with or question the
safety of the use of infant forumula in places where clean water is an
issue etc. I know from talking to mums here that they really do believe
that when they buyt the forula, especially the expensive stuff, tey are
showing themselves to be good mums, loving their babies :-(

Anyway, I'm keeping my eye ouyt for WHO code violations and breastfeeding
art!!! Fortunately there is some of the latter around. I saw this
magnificent watercolour today of a woman breastfeeding amounst a group of
people. It was absolutely huge 4/5mx2m or so and just gorgeous. I wish I
had the wall to hang it on. There have been some smaller paintings that are
very nice also.

Karleen Gribble
Usually in Australia but currently in  China

PS. I don't think that Barb Glare in on Lactnet at the moment but wondered
if someone could ask her to send me her email to [log in to unmask]