From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:13:23 -0400
Dear all:

Just to make it clear how much I understand and truly believe that many varied backgrounds can
contribute to our profession, I am willing to confess how my scores on the IBCLE exam compared
to 2 out of 3 of my colleagues (I don't know the scores of one of my colleagues).  My colleagues
are not RNs or MDs.  One was an actor, one was a customs agent, and one was a Latin instructor
in a highly competitive private high school in Manhattan.  I trained with just one group of IBCLCs
that had at one point been on the forefront of lactation, but did not update their knowledge.  Two
of my other colleagues trained with various different lactation consultants.  Guess which one
scored highest?

Don't have a clue?  It was the actor.  Not only did all of my nonMD, non RN colleagues score well
above passing, but they are exceptionally well regarded by mothers in Manhattan for their clinical
skills.  I don't believe it is an exam-taking fluke that the actor scored the highest on the exam. I
do believe it reflects her clinical skills.

Best regards, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC