From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:43:47 +1100
<I spoke on the phone with a mother whose baby was born several weeks ago by
(repeat) c-section.  Her incision was infected for some time and has since
been very slow to heal.  She now has a vaginal yeast infection.  Is there
any likelihood that the incision itself is also being directly affected by
the yeast?  >

This is a good question!
It is possible that candida is present in the wound as well as the presumed
bacterial (usually staph) infection, but it could be that the wound is no
longer infected and just healing slowly. This is the sort of thing that is
always better to see for yourself rather than relying on someone's
description of their problem.

<Her doctor told her to wean before using the
intravaginal prescription, which she refused to do, but I doubt he will
prescribe systemic treatments or consider treating the baby proactively.  >

Weaning before using a vaginal treatment!!! no comment!
Does the woman have a family doctor who could prescibe an oral antifungal
(eg fluconazole) to treat the vaginal thrush and candida elsewhere at the
same time? Firstly, I would want to know that the "vaginal yeast" has been
proven and not just normal discharge or normal postpartum dryness (ie has a
swab been taken?).
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia