Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:54:44 +0200
Dear All - I think that we have lost sight of the fact that we are to assist
the mother in breastfeeding (wherever she is at)and not be the judge of
whether she should be fasting or not. Most of us remember the Time magazine
cover not many years ago of the mother fleeing in war with the baby at her
breast and thinking what luck she is breastfeeding - the baby would surely
not survive if she weren't........and if she had no water or food in the
last 25 hours would we think she would have no milk? If she were starving
for days it would be another story....but if she had the luxury of eating
the day before and the day after - would it be a problem?
Uncomfortable................but not undoable.  A lot of Moms fast here and
make it to the next day. A woman can consult with her Rabbi for certain
"easements" (is there such a word?)................especially on an
exceptionally hot and dry day as it was this year.
                  I hope this doesn't sound harsh - I don't mean it to be.
Warmly, Toby Gish RN, IBCLC (Haifa, Israel)