From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:37:41 -0500
Again, if we are talking about my case. I have shown this mother at least 4
other positions/holds, she insists on only using the xcradle. (Changing the
position/angle of his head,as he has gotten bigger, has made this easier
for her.) She gets very frustrated in the cradle, football and refuses to
even try lying down. She has to be more confident in her ability to make
milk and nurse, and I think, he is still doing well with her Boppie,
pillows and using the instruction that if she wants to use the xcradle, to
put her elbow down, rather than off to the side, to prevent cramping.

Also this baby is far from a preterm baby, he is almost 12 lbs. I think,
eventually, she will switch to the regular cradle hold when her back hurts
enough. (That may be the only motivater for change, I think.)She says it is
the only hold where she feel she has "control" of his head (which I
explained in the first post.) His head is getting heavy (as is the rest of
him) so I think different holds are going to have to be one of those things
that *this* mother is going to have to figure out and implement when, and
only when, she feels ready.

I have demontrated many of them but I can't *make* her use any hold she
doesn't want to. ;) I think I have probably slid a thousand babies into the
regular cradle hold, as they got to big, and mom got too cramped for the
xcradle, and the response it usually "Wow, does that feel better." I did it
in her case and it was, "I hate this!"

Thank you all again.

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, RLC, LLLL, AAPL

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:05:25 EST, Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a message dated 12.16.03 6:18:11 PM, Karen   writes:
>

>> maybe I am misinterpreting you, however I was wondering why particularly
>> *adding*  football hold would make a difference. I would have thought
>> improving latch with *any* hold would be the key (along with the
compression
>> and switching).
>>
>Good question.   I have at least a couple of different reasons for this.
>Using one mouth position or angle at the breast might not allow for the
more
>complete emptying offered with changing postions. I have experienced this
>personally with all 3 children. I could never empty the outer aspect of
the breast as
>well in the straight across position as with the f-ball hold. This has
been my
>experience in my practice as well-in at least 2 cases of poor wt. gain, I
was
>so impressed by the change in milk flow by a simple switch to f-ball hold
that
>I decided to experiment and used that change as the ONLY instruction to
Mom.
>In both cases babies' turned around completely and began to gain well. The
>idea that gravity (or something?)seems to   allow for faster (greater?)
milk