From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2010 12:29:36 -0500
Hi Margaret,

The problem is that when someone is very disappointed or upset about
something, they tend to talk about it over and over and the feelings, rather
than being diminished, become stronger over time. Also, the memory of what
actually happened and what was said fades, but the feelings remain and
whenever the situation comes up in conversation, anger resurfaces. You see
it frequently in birth situations gone wrong. It also happens all the time
in situations unrelated to breastfeeding, where a person cannot let go of
those feelings or resolve disappointment. Also, I think that there are
volunteer counselors who really don't have a depth of knowledge necessary to
help in abnormal situations. When a mother is told to just relax and nurse
the baby and everything will be ok, that is just infuriating to her and to
her partner who is also affected by the situation.

And there have been peer situations, I think much more so many years ago,
where it was made clear that anyone who was not completely on board with the
whole homebirth, breastfeeding, organic only lifestyle (and I experienced
that myself) was really not entirely welcomed into the fold. I think that is
changing, thank goodness, but again, memories linger and those feelings of
being judged, especially on your mothering decisions, are never forgotten.
Hence the LLL comments. As unfair as many of the comments may be - based on
misplaced anger and unclear memories- the fact is that some moms did have a
very bad experience with LLL and unfortunately, they never seem to tire of
talking about it or painting  the entire organization with the same brush.
It is frustrating.

I have to say that as much as I admire Ms.Dettwyler and her body of work, I
did find her statement to be really offputting. Many women who have gone on
to breastfeed their children did not have that as a real consideration when
they first became pregnant or considered pregnancy. I have seen moms who
were sure they wanted to bottlefeed become ardent breastfeeders after their
babies were born. Statements like that just reinforce the idea that we in
the lactation field have a completely rigid approach to how we think mothers
should approach decisions related to infant feeding.

My vision is a day when breastfeeding truly is considered the cultural as
well as the biological norm and we can erase these barriers that exist
between women as they consider and discuss breastfeeding. We have been
outgunned by the formula companies for so many years. But I do see glimmers
of hope that things can change.

Sharon Knorr, IBCLC