From:
NATHALIE ARRUDA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:43:10 -0400
I think that this is absolutely correct in many instances. I think that we underestimate the potential for these babies, even our little preemie friends. When baby is separated from mama and left alone in a bed, even if they are swaddled and kept warm, their little bodies have to work so much harder than if they were able to relax skin-to-skin with Mama. And what an amazing difference in Christie's story. Going from feeding every 4 hours, to every hour. It is amazing to me to think about such a little baby being on a 4 hour schedule. I remember when my robust, healthy baby was born, and the nurses gave me the talk about NEVER letting him go as long as four hours unless he was sleeping at night! Babies, for the most part, KNOW what they need in order to get better, and if we could just learn to listen to them, I think they (and we) would be a lot better off in many ways!

Nathalie Arruda
Home Visitor
Family First: Parents Are Teachers, Too
Down East Community Hospital

Christie, thanks for sharing your personal experience with s2s and bfdg.
Can we see it as an illustration that if babies are s2s we can trust =
them? Since mom is providing the warmth and the breathing reminders =
and the emotional security, baby has energy to bfd as needed?

Are all bets off once baby is swaddled and moved to a bassinette?=20

Perhaps that's where the concern about spending more calories than are =
available originated since baby is so stressed by the separation.