From:
Suzanne Bowes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:51:01 -0800
After having to defend myself for refusing to give a
mom used but sterilized parts, I did a little research
combing the FDA web site.  This is what I found.  If a
person/institution re-sterilizes a SUD (single user
device) then the person/company assumes liability for
the product.   I think I also remember that the
sterilizer used has to be " certified".  I cannot
remember the exact wording.  As one pump vendor told
me, it would be like using someone else's tooth brush
or panties.  As far as the pump like the SNS and
others in a bag, it is because of the bag not being
able to be wiped down w/ a disinfectant and how the
motor is encased.  A few of those pumps can be used by
more than one user, but not the ones in a bag.  I
believe that the W.S. pump can because the motor
casing can be wiped down.  If a mom asks me about
this, I tell them that as a health care professional I
must follow the manufacture's recomendations and the
FDA guidelines.  After that, it is up to the mom.  I
also mention that the personal use pumps can run a
long time before they breakdown completely.  That can
impact a milk supply if a mom has a serious need for a
pump.
Suzanne Bowes RN, IBCLC