From:
Denise Arcoverde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 07:56:20 -0200
Dear Lactnetters!

A lady with osteoporosis wrote to Ted Greiner as follows:

"I'm 36 years old and have OSTEOPOROSIS due to a previous health problem.
Dr. recommended WEANING MY 7 WEEK OLD BABY due to the calcium being leached
from my bones, even though I take supplements. Does anyone know of
resources to help? I do not want to wean unless I really have to."

She added:

"My doctor said that breast feeding would continue to leach out the calcium
from my bones even with supplements and that just sounded strange. Of
course, I don't want to do anything detrimental to either of us. My baby
would probably like to have a mother without the problems associated with
osteoporisis when he is 30 and I'm 66! Many children have thrived on
formula, but I just love the intimacy of breastfeeding and am concerned
about proper nourishment for him."

Ted asked me to consult you all. Is her doctor right that she should stop
breastfeeding? We know that breastfeeding seems not to be a cause, but the
question is, once someone already has osteoporosis, what effect will
continued breastfeeding have? If you know something that might be useful
for her, write directly to Ted and he will pass it on:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Denise Arcoverde

Denise Arcoverde