Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:09:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
 My thought is that Day 3 is too early to tell if she has PCOS. If she's got a hungry baby, and it sounds like she does, I'd encourage feeding the baby as much as he indicates. I'm not big on giving the baby small portions of supplement based on mom's ability to express a drop of colostrum. If baby was nursing well I wonder if he's hit that pause that happens occasionally between having pretty well taken all the colostrum and waiting a bit before the onset of mature milk. You wrote that baby is very fussy, and appears hungry. He hasn't had a stool in over 24 hours, and he's jaundice. Those all indicate a need for more calories.?? If she's going to use a breast pump, I'd encourage a hospital grade pump. But honestly, I'd have her wait a day or two. During that time I'd have mom feed 10-15 minutes a breast and then supplement as much as baby wants. I'm all for making this as easy and pleasant for mom, dad, and baby as we can make those early days. 

If after day 6 or so, you're still not seeing a significant increase in milk then I'd definitely be looking into other possibilities. Maybe have mom go back to the endocrinologist she saw before getting pregnant.? Any signs of insulin resistance too?? Just wondering, Sue Manore, IBCLC, RLC, LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2