From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:25:34 -0500
1. Yes, parents don't change diapers as often as HCP would like because of
a) lack of info on how often to change -new parents  and b) expense.
2. I use the rule of thumb of one wet per day of age to about day 5-7, then
I expect the 6-8.  I don't distinguish between paper or cloth, almost NO
ONE uses cloth any more!  We panic parents by expecting 6-8 wet diapers on
day 2 or 3.  I'm pretty sure that is not physiologic.  Remember we only
know what is common now (IVs and force fed bottles and bottles) not what is
normal.  But I generally see the baby with AMPLE, AD LIB access to the
breast doing the one wet day 1, two wet day 2, 3 wet day 3.  These are
usually accompanied by LOTS of stool 6-8.  Then towards the end of the
first week this starts to switch, more wet than dirty.  I tell parents
this, it is reassuring and helps them know what to expect.  Haven't had it
fail yet if AMPLE and AD LIB are present.

Having said all this, Anne you have my sympathies, because phone triage is
so hard to judge ample and ad lib access to breast.  Listen for key
words...MINUTES at breast, TIMING q. how ever many hours she says, STOOL -
quantity.  I think deCaravallo said stool was a more important indicator of
intake in the early days than wet.  If mom is focused on minutes, or hours
or ounces, then baby is probably not getting ad lib access and needs to be
seen to be evaluated.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ, USA