Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:44:17 GMT
I too work for WIC and our policy is for our handouts to be as close to 5th grade reading level as possible (which can be frustrating when the calculation is partly based on length of words and "breastfeeding" is 13 letters.)  Also, in my agency a lot of the clients are not native-English speakers and although we do our best to produce materials in at least Spanish as well as English, that doesn't help those whose mother tongue is Hmong, Somali, Amharic, Oromo, Swahili, Chinese, Laotian....
Marcia McCoy, IBCLC, freezing in below-zero (Fahrenheit) weather