From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:15:12 -0800
Carole Jernigan wrote about the discouragement she feels when she
encounters mothers and fathers who feel that the only way Dad can bond with
the baby is through bottle feeding, noting: 'I think some folks, men and
women both, feel as though they have to be actively *doing something* with
the baby for it to be "quality time".'

One dimension of culture is how people define human activity. Among western
and westernized cultures, human activity tends to be defined as "doing."
Other ways of defining human activity exist, however, including "being" and
"being-in-becoming." So, if someone appears to have cultural beliefs that
emphasize a definition of human activity as "doing," it can, indeed, be
helpful to present other things that the Dad can "do" to promote bonding
that will not undermine breastfeeding: bathing, massaging, singing to,
dressing, etc. Presenting these other options respects and accommodates the
father's culturally based need to interact with his baby in a way that m
eets his culturally acceptable definition of human activity. Such respect
and accommodation are part of striving toward culturally competent
lactation consulting.

For more information, see my article, "The cultural art of breastfeeding,"
in the breastfeeding section on the publications page of my website
(http://home.attbi.com/~ammawell)

And even though I understand where people are coming from culturally, I
still feel frustrated myself at how common it is for people to see bottle
feeding as the only way for a father to bond with his child. I think a good
chunk of my frustration comes from the way in which this culturally based
belief is often exploited in marketing and the popular media--resulting, of
course, in the undermining of breastfeeding and a concomitant increase in
risk of poor health in mother and child.

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS, IBCLC, RLC
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]