From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:23:56 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Giving a new mother yet another piece of paper is a poor substitute for a
discussion where the staff nurse or lactation therapist sits down and chats
with her.  Women go home with so much paperwork.

Giving staff pieces of paper, no matter how good, is a poor substitute for
a discussion. Staff need someone to sit down and to discuss this new (to
them) information about the risks of non-human milks. For 4 generations
now, it has been okay to feed formula to a baby. Now, evidence is showing
us that it isn't. We, who are on the cutting edge of this information, have
to be compassionate and persistent as we educate those around us. There has
to be also a big forgiveness piece in our education for the folks that did
the best they could with what they had, and who may hear this new
information through the filter of their personal experience, anger, and
grief.

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth