From:
angie sohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:55:01 -0500
Kristen writes:

"It’s a little bit amusing to think that somewhere some ingénue lactation
consultant (with all due respect and props to the original poster) is losing
sleep, worried that we might put Medela out of business."

As I dodge daggers like this one for my original post, I must ask myself if
Lactnet is a place for lactation consultants to gather and discuss "hot" topics,
expressing our thoughts and opinions or a place to "eat our own" when one
has personal views that may butt heads with one's own professional views or
those views of others?  Having dodged daggers publicly over the past week, I
now wonder.

I responded to one poster who expressed her delight in the possibility of
seeing Medela be "put out of business."  I responded by pointing out the real
need that some mothers have for using breastpumps (having pumped for 2
years for a child with oral aversion who CAN'T get breastmilk from the breast)
and having worked diligently with hundreds of mother to AVOID breast
pumping.  I corrected myself by acknowledging that there companies
attempting to be "more Code compliant" (or is this in question, too?) that
would be alternatives.

With all due respect to those who publicly post daggers, I am neither an
ingénue or naive. Nor am I losing sleep over this.  I do lose sleep and many
hours of my day, however, to use my Medela pump and provide my daughter
with my precious milk that may be THE one and only reason she is doing as
well as she is.  I will refrain from returning daggers out of respect for the
purpose of the Lactnet forum.  As a "slave" to my pump, I am the first to
agree that marketing to a mother that implies that pumping is the equivalent
of breastfeeding can idealize a process that, quite frankly, is hell.  What I
would give to crawl into bed with my daughter, cuddle her against my breast,
and listen to her sweet breastfeeding noises.

Angie Sohler, RN, RLC, IBCLC
A little grouchy, but no ingénue