From:
Robert Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:13:01 -0500
Samantha,

I didn't see the original post.  However, if the mom has celiac, it's
possible the baby may have it.  Granted, the mom is on the gluten-free diet
already.

There's quite a bit of information, and opinions to be shared at
Your, or the mom would need to register for the group, post information
about the baby's symptoms, and ask for responses.  Basically, she would be
asking for help from mothers who have dealt with various celiac, allergy,
and sometimes other illnesses as well.

A form of celiac is called DH-dermititis herpetiformis.  DH patients
sypmtoms clear with a gluten-free diet, and some have skin allergies to
external products.  Many of the CeliacKids forum moms have had to resort to
using only specific external products...lotions, soaps, laundry products,
and would have specific brand suggestions.

Anyway, the forum moms could have many suggestions, even to a doctor in her
area that may be familiar with DH.

Lisa E.
LLLL, Decatur, IL
Mom of 2; incl. 1 celiac child

From:    laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: mother doesn't want to wean

Samantha,
How heart-breaking. I don't think she should wean. I think she is very
worried about being depleted herself. I wonder if she is more scared than
she really needs to be about herself. I am not trying to minimize the
effects of celiac disease; however, if she has been vegetarian a couple of
decades, I bet her nutrition is better than alot of us. I know it would be
hard, but she seems pretty in tuned with her daughter, and so hopefully she
can pinpoint the offending foods for her daughter. I would urge her to avoid
those, even if she is feeling she MUST eat them for her own health, I just
don't see why at this point she must do that. If it's the nuts, avoid those.
I would try to find someone who would treat them as a unit. I am not well
versed in "alternate" modalities like CST, homeopathic, and others. I hope
Jennifer will respond. I think the child could also see a dermatologist and
that a cortisone-type drug, antihistamine, and certain environmental changes
like not bathing so much, and using some sort of moisturizer, could really
help too. I think the trauma to both mom and baby that would go with
weaning, would make both of their health suffer.
I wish them the best,
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA
I am so sad to hear of Barbara's loss.