Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:51:40 -0500
My n is only about 4, but in my area we have a very non-interventive
lay midwife.  Those of us who have birthed with her find that our
babies are awake, alert, and vigorous feeders within moments of birth.
Babies stay awake and nurse of and on for maybe tow or three hours,
while all the visitors pour in.  Then mom and babe pass out for at
least five hours of hard sleep, and when everybody wakes up, they nurse
every couple of hours (or more, depending on their personality).  There
doesn't seem to be the "recovery period" involved in out-of-home
births, where you have to pack up and go home and all that.

Lynn in MO