Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:07:04 +0100
>Unfortunately, I used the word 'discretion' in my post about
>breastfeeding in public. Really it is more about working with the
>'culture' you are in. Sorry, the 'Applebee's culture is not
>conducive to open breastfeeding. Does this mother usually breastfeed
>at the table at home?That is just a question.

Whether she bf at the table at home (um,why wouldn't she?   don't
most people?!),  or not, then she might reasonably expect to do so
away from home, especially somewhere that has (presumably) fewer
seating options (like different chairs or sofas, which you might use
at home for comfort, or when bf outside a regular family mealtime).
Does it matter what the Applebee's culture is? And Bill Maher was
speaking in general terms, anyway - extending his argument outwards
to include all 'narcissists'.

>More to the point though I would like to address the 'Bill Maher'
>comments. Have we all forgotten what his role is ? He is supposed to
>shock and offend, all to get people up in arms. It seems to me that
>some folks here have taken the bait.

This is always a good point - when people try to use outrage to get a
response, then 'swallowing the bait' encourages them in some way, I
know. But in this case, you can add hypocrisy and incoherence to the
mix, given his stance on bf elsewhere, which makes ignoring him more
difficult to justify.

HWN, UK