From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 20:30:35 +0500
For Lee Hackl, who asked for references on breastfeeding and its role in
protecting against SIDS:  Check out the new book by William Sears, "SIDS: A
Parent's Guide to Understanding and Preventing S.I.D.S."  It is published
by Little, Brown, 1995.  It is well written and very clear, helpful for
both parents who fear this terrible tragedy and for professionals who deal
with parents.  There is an extensive and up-to-date reference list, pages
long.  It should be in your public library by now, and in all the book
stores.  Sears spoke (via phone from CA) on Wisconsin Public Radio a few
weeks ago on this topic and was very well received.  He dealt very caringly
with questions from callers, some of whom had lost babies to SIDS.

May I add my condolances to the Israeli Lactnetters on the death of
Yitzchak Rabin. Our hearts go out to you.

In regard to the ongoing discussion of tenosynovitis, in my La Leche League
group that is all mothers of multiples, a few years ago we had a lot of
mothers who had problems with this during their pregnancies, and continuing
after.  Some used splints, some needed surgery.  The motion of scooping up
a baby from a crib seemed to especially aggravate the pain.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL Leader in Madison, WI