Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:54:24 EDT
We had a four month old happy, healthy, developmentally normal girl in the
office today who has a bloody discharge from one nipple.  Normal little
breast buds, no signs or mastitis.  It sometimes ooches a drop of blood or it
can be expressed.  The ped took a picture of it with his digital camera and
tested it to make sure it was blood and it was.  We couldn't find a reference
of an infant with bloody discharge from nipple, only reference to adolescent
girls.  Has anyone ever heard of this or know any literature on this?  Her
mother was unable to breastfeed due to insufficent milk supply having wide
spaced breast and she is now fed lacto-free.

Any references would be appreciated, please email privately to
[log in to unmask] as I'm presently no-mail.  Thank you.

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com
Pediatrics Plus' Lactation Consultant   www.pedsplus.com