From:
"Cathy LPN,IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:32:01 EDT
       I am new to the list and delighted to be here! I work in an OB/GYN
office . One of our Mom' s had been totally pumping and feeding EBM due to
poor latch and extremely sore nipples. She had been followed by her
Pediatricians office for these problems , and had been told that some babies
"Just don't breast feed well ," and was encouraged to pump . At her 6 week
post partum visit I noticed that this infant had a very short frenulum
(Classic heart shape when she cried, tongue did not cover lower gum ridge,
etc.,... ) I inquired if this had ever been mentioned as a possible cause of
her difficulties. This Mom returned to her Pediatricians office, twice more,
before one of the Doctors agreed to snip her frenulum. This was done in the
office, without complications. This totally bottle fed infant latched on to
the breast that same evening and within 48 hours was totally breast feeding!
She is now 6 MO old and remains a totally breast fed infant! Her mother is
delighted that she has been able to experience the Joy of actually breast
feeding her Daughter, however she is angry that this situation was not
noticed / or taken seriously by her pediatrician earlier. I don't understand
the reluctance to identify and treat this easily fixable problem. Thank you,
Cathy LPN, IBCLC (NO. VA)