Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:09:48 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hi All,
I have been composing letters in my head to Christine Flowers since someone posted her article Lactose Intolerant.  It came out a lot different in writing than in my head.  Here it is.

Dear Ms. Flowers,
If find it highly ironic that a woman in your position would advocate to keep breastfeeding women hidden from the public eye.  Only since 1869 have women been allowed to be lawyers.  Berfore that it was an all male domain.  Women were only allowed to become judges in 1924 and even then the first woman appointed received threats on her life if she accepted the position.  Women in our past fought hard for you to be in the position that you are in today. 
 It seems that breasts in the US are still a male domain.  No one seems to mind if they are bared in public for the enjoyment of men or to sell them a new car, lawn mower etc..  But use them for what their primary function, one that men do not directly benefit from, and people get upset.
  You remind me of a group of feminists at the University of Michigan that my friend belonged to.  Before every meeting, she would change from her skirt and blouse into  jeans and a t-shirt.  It seemed that the so called feminists in her group believed that for women to get ahead they had to pretend to be men.  Perhaps you feel that the position of professional women will be threatened by women appearing so womanly.  You writing that "women should be permitted to nurse unobtrusively in restrooms and other public places specifically designated for the purpose,"  is like someone telling you to get out of the courtroom and back into the kitchen.  Women will never truly get ahead in society until they can do so proudly as women - not imitating men. 
 You are in a position to advocate for women's rights.  Your friend was not excersizing a "preference" as you called it, but a right.  We would welcome you onto our side. 
Sincerely,
Nancy Chayn Fogelman 
breastfeeding mother and professional

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2