From:
JOKR PANZER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:12:25 +0000
I saw a mom last week on day three, baby was being supplemented due to
weight loss.  she told me that her first was supplemented too, and she
thought that was why she never developed a full supply, always had to
supplement until in frustration she weaned early at about 10 wks. I set her
up with a pump to help bring in milk supply and express colostrum for baby.
Oh dear. Very underdeveloped breasts with visible visible asymmetry and
widely spaced....Still, who really has a good milk supply on day three? I
reminded myself that there are women who present with abnormally appearing
breasts who produce an adequate supply. We forged ahead. Day 8, mother is
able to express scant amounts of milk, hungry baby needs a supplement after
every feeding at the breast, mother is disappointed and can't understand
what she did wrong....
I am not sure what to say/how to say it/when to say it.  Looking for a
balance between sharing my knowledge and helping this mother develop
realistic expectations on the one hand and being supportive and constructive
on the other. Need a little help....
Kristen Panzer, MS IBCLC