From:
"D. Shinskie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:00:14 -0400
Annelies:  I just LOVE rebirthing!  From the moment I heard Heather Harris
discuss it at ILCA '95, I have been applying it - mostly with those
refusing-to-latch after poor hospital management of bfing babies.  And it's
usually with nipple confusion or flat-out breast refusal of an unknown
cause.  It really works!  Usually on the 1st try - almost always on the 2nd.
It takes patience on moms part - the mom I worked with last week who used it
reported that the total bath time was 40 minutes - first part for relaxing
in water then baby on tummy to make that crawl.  Moms either look at you as
though you were purple when you suggest this - or they think it is so cool
that something so relaxing is the suggestion.  I truly feel that mom's
belief in this working is extremely important.  Those moms who need gadgetry
& expense to feel they are doing it right, will probably not have luck with it.

The neatest case I have seen in the past 1.8 yrs was with a committed mom of
a neurologically impaired baby who had excellent suck/swallow.  Baby spent
about 5 weeks in NICU, had lots of bottle feeds.  I was seeing her through
home health & she was following as an outpatient with the wonderful hospital
LC.  At her care conference I mentioned this and the other LC had seen some
success with other patients, so we tried it.  2 baths & it worked - he still
nurses as of very recently!!!  He's the guy who I think about on those BAD
days!  I've often wondered if this might help an adopting mom who has a baby
exposed to lots of bottles and won't latch?  Haven't had the opportunity to
suggest it yet!

Happy bathing!
Debbie Shinskie RN CES IBCLC in Millersburg, PA, USA
http://www.epix.net/~shinskie/
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
                                                -Isak Dinesen