From:
Jennifer Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 00:00:17 -0500
As I was doing a pap smear on a RN patient of mine (don't you just hate it
when you have to make small talk while your getting a pap smear!)  we were
talking about our mutual interest in breastfeeding.  She is getting her
doctorate here at the University of Utah and is working on post partum
depression.  Did you know that post partum depression is almost totally a
western, developed, 1st world problem!  It just doesn't exist in 3rd world
countries!  One of her theories is of course that 3rd world women are  often
encouraged in their role as mothers and have help from family and friends
after the birth.  They also carry their infants with them and breastfeed
freely in public and on demand.  In our culture, we are ashamed to nurse or
cradle our babies in public and encouraged not to sleep with our infants. I
know there are many of you who have studied this at length but it just really
blew me away when I sat down and thought about it.  Since having my first
baby 13 months ago I have been so suprised at all the forces in our society
that want me to separate from my baby.  Women who are forced to go back to
work, teens who must return to school 2 weeks after delivery and are not
supported as mothers are all example of our screwed up culture.  What is the
latest on breastfeeding and postpartum depression--my thoughts are there
probably is no free lunch when it come to avoiding post partum depression
whether you do breastfeed or not.  Personally I never felt more at peace than
this wonderful year plus of lactating.   Thanks for the great food for
thought on Lactnet... or should I say thanks for nursing my mind!
Sincerely,  Jennifer Myers Coombs PA-C