From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:13:40 -0500
Lucy,
I just had a talk with a mom whose 7 month old was biting quite frequently
and had even put a hole in the moms nipple on the left side. She was so
scared to nurse him she was not letting down anymore and combined with some
mislead advice from her doc she had been on sudafed for a week for a cold
she had. Her AM milk supply was much better and he never bit then, however
in late afternoon and early evening when she was much lower he bit. We
worked on going to a quiet place to nurse, massaging the breast before
feeds, and using heat if she had to. Last I talked to her things were going
well using all these techniques. He was also brekaing 4 teeth at
once...such a combination of items. However, I do tell my moms to detach
and say NO firmly and not nurse for 30 seconds or so. I have never had a
baby strike for longer than a couple hours doing this, and they learn very
quickly they cannot bite and get food. I have seen too many mothers who
just let it happen.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE
Private Practice
Merced, CA