Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:37:34 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I do understand all these arguments - BUT having been a nursing mom with NO pump other than a bicycle horn pump, I learned to use 2 cups and 2 hands to double express simultaneously for my 10 minute break when I was a very poor mom who had to work to support my 3 children.  I love the pumps, they made things easier for my 4th, but I hope we never lose the technology in our hands.  Every day I teach a mom or many moms how to hand-express.  They are SOOO pleased when they see what they can do themselves!  Hand-expression does have it's limits.  But so do electric pumps. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Nans
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:58 PM
Subject: Price of Pumps for Working Mothers

I agree that the price of pumps for working mothers is out of the question for many.  I live in an area where 40% of our patient population receives Medicaid.  Sometimes they have less than $20 to feed their children for a week between paychecks.  If they are working in a place like Burger King or the Dollar Store, a $300 pump is so far out of what they can afford, it's ludicrous.  We do have a great WIC program with donor Lactinas, which is great.  Why on earth, though, do we have these outrageously priced pumps that can't be reused?  What a waste it is?  I know there are other alternatives like small hand pumps, hand expressing, etc., but if someone passed on a barely used pump for a financially strapped mom and was able to obtain new tubing for it, I would look the other way, that's for sure.  And what happens to these pumps?  I'm sure many of them end up in some landfill--that's a great way to promote the sustainability of breastfeeding, right?  I, too, get so sick of our throw away society here in the US, and companies that do not allow sensible reuse of equipment when, of course, it doesn't serve their financial interests.  
Anne Nans, IBCLC, CPNPSackets Harbor, NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2