From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:45:04 -0400
When I had my first baby, 26 years ago, all mothers were first taught to
nurse lying on their sides. I wanted to nurse my baby right after birth - an
unusual practice in those days! - so I rolled over onto my side on the
narrow delivery table and nursed him in that position. In fact, when I went
to my first LLL meeting several weeks later, one of my main goals was to
find out how to nurse sitting up!

I find that nursing lying down is especially helpful to mothers with large
breasts. They may find it difficult at first to figure out how to support
and position the baby while also supporting their breasts. Lying down often
works much better. I think it is also especially good for new mothers who
can't sit comfortably due to stitches or perineal bruising. And you get more
rest!

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario, Canada