From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:13:18 +0000
I've been internet surfing for info on this one. There is quite alot of
information and controversy over whether or not this drug should be used in
all different kinds of cancer cases. A couple of things I found out. There
is a new DX assay (I think that is what it was called) that can tell if the
patient is at high risk or not for a recurrence. Perhaps this assay is
available and applicable in her case, and could help the mother make an
informed decision. Also, I could not find out when tamoxifen is started, but
it is often taken for 5 yrs but not more. Perhaps the mother could continue
bf for some months, then wean and start the drug, if she and doctor feel it
would help in her case.  I've had 3 close cousins who have had mastectomies
and all of them debated whether or not this med would be indicated and
beneficial in their cases. It seems this can be a difficult decision for any
woman to make.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN - apologies for posting more than I should.
Lactnet helps me re-charge.