From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:46:53 -0500
I watched most of the program, I did have to change the channel at times
as I got upset. I do think the mothering was not practicing AP.
Breastfeeding was shown as the cause of the problems. Actually the mom
basically ignored the children in the beginning. She was constantly
nursing a 14 month old that appeared never to play and was carried
around like a sack of potatoes. I guess that this baby wanted to nurse
all the time in response to the chaos and stress of the home, as her
only positive interaction with mom, and the hitting/spanking/yelling
that consisted of the parenting.  No wonder mom wanted to wean as the
nursing was presented as the problem and it appeared to take weaning to
get this mother to see her child's needs for structure and age
appropriate activities. So many parents in the US culture seem to think
they can get away with doing nothing in the way of guiding their child's
behavior and still have positive, happy results. Breastfeeding is always
blamed for the behavior problems but the truth is that mom/dad have not
done their job at setting limits, guiding the child, and creating a
peaceful family life. As far as Super Nanny, I think this toddler is
better off now but it is a shame that she was weaned in order to create
better parenting.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC