Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:32:05 +1000
One thing that bothers me about the danger of rolling on to a baby is a
possible flaw in research.  I admit that drugs, alcohol and extreme obseity
is placing a high risk as is the soft mattress.  What puzzles me is that a
baby does move in the bed, and does protest.  This makes me think that a
baby who was rolled on (assuming the parents are tuned in and not effected
by drugs etc) is most likely to have died before being "rolled on" since the
baby would be able to respond in some way.

In the last 18 months, there has been one baby die because it was rolled
on -- by the father --- who was drunk (but of course that was never
reported - I found out from a family friend).

The greatest complaint that I hear is that mothers are "unable to sleep"
because they were too aware of the baby.  I have never heard I mother say
that they unaware of the baby in the bed although they are more likely to
say they sleep better with a baby close.

Ruth Fiedler
Australia