From:
Jackie Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:52:01 EST
I have a friend who is also having surgery on her breast on Wed. for a lump
they found last week.  They have her very frightened over it.  I noticed that
it has been mentioned about aspirating cells.  They tried to aspirate the
lump to see if it was a plugged duct and they didn't have any luck.  Is it
possible to aspirate just a few cells to know what they are working with.
This is a breastfeeding mom of a  5 month old son.  I'm afraid they are going
to go in their and find a plugged duct.  She said the sight was red a few
months ago and sore.  She used warm moist heat and tried to pump with an
Avent manual.  She wasn't seeing anyone for help at the time.  It didn't seem
to resolve, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a plugged duct.  The surgeon
wanted her to wean stat and that is when she called me.  They discussed it
further after talking with me and she will continue to nurse until the path
lab is back.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  We plan on making sure the
breast is as empty as possible immediately before surgery and hopefully can
feed on the unaffected breast right after.  Get the lab result and go from
there.  I wondered if an altrasound would give any helpful results.  I know
these things are difficult with a lactating breast, I'm sure that is why the
surgeon wanted her to wean.  IF anyone has any helpful suggestions, I'm open.
 I will be their to help her before and after the surgery.

Jackie
The Nursing Mothers' Center