From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:51:45 -0400
i read with great amusement the tale of saving baby bunnies with human milk.
it makes a great companion piece to the fawn story. only hours later did it
occur to me  how inextricably tied to the common culture i remain, despite my
interest in human lactation.

you will note that the unnamed friend was "shocked" by this scenario: a baby
mammal, abandoned by its mother (abandoned as shown by its not being fed),
was given the milk of another species by the use of an artificial feeding
device, and managed to thrive despite the known  fact that the substitute
milk is not suited to the bunny.

i honestly don't know which irony is greater, that the friend was surprised
by this (unless this person is another lactation advocate who would never,
never use any substitute milks or artificial feeding devices), or that it
took me so long to get it. a teachable moment, i guess.

carol brussel
private citizen