From:
CarolRNLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 10:04:28 EST
Nancy,

I'm NOT a doctor, so I don't want to "diagnose", but it sounds like your child
is going through what my son did (though his wasn't nearly as bad!) when he
had his first herpes simplex outbreak.  If that's the case, the antibiotics
and antifungals won't do a bit of good, & might even make the symptoms worse.

There ARE several new drugs out there that can shorten and minimize the
symptoms (there is no cure for herpes, per se, you can just send it in to
dormancy).  Perhaps one of our illustrious Lactnet MDs and/or Dr. Hale can
suggest medication safe for you & your daughter.

Herpes is nasty stuff.  Got it in my eyes once (don't EVER put your contact
lenses in your mouth!!), almost went blind.  And I'm still dealing with the
guilt of inoculating my first son when he was 2 yo by letting him drink from
my cup while I had a cold sore--that's what started the whole mess for him.

In the mean time, swabbing Maalox on the lesions (alkaline environment) may
help with the pain, & taking L-Lysine (an amino acid supplement available in
the vitamin section at most stores) can prevent & lessen the severity of the
symptoms.  Also avoiding acidic foods (citrus, tomato products, soda, etc.)
may help the pain.  And you can use those teething ointments on the lesions as
well.

Good Luck!

Carol Schlef, St. Louis