Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:25:13 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Hi,

I decided to read the article and found a couple of interesting statements:

"Despite the rosy picture painted by home birth advocates, a seemingly normal labor and delivery can quickly become life-threatening for both the mother and baby." 

I suppose *every* situation at home, any seemingly normal life, could become threatening in a split second. Maybe we should all live in hospitals...?

"Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) at home is especially dangerous because if the uterus ruptures during labor, both the mother and baby face an emergency situation with potentially catastrophic consequences, including death."

Of course: I don't think that would be a situation in which a well-informed mother would choose a home delivery, would she...? I don't think that would be advised here, although home births are very normal.

"Multiple factors are responsible for the current cesarean rate, but emerging contributors include maternal choice and the rising tide of high-risk pregnancies due to maternal age, overweight, obesity and diabetes."

What mother in a sane state of mind would choose a c-section, if I may ask...?! Maybe I should eat a pair of socks, too... Overweight, obesity and diabetes: yes, serious risk factors, to be reduced by breastfeeding!

"It should be emphasized that studies comparing the safety and outcome of births in hospitals with those occurring in other settings in the US are limited and have not been scientifically rigorous."

That being so... how can the conclusion be drawn that homebirths are *not* safe and have worse outcomes...?

"Choosing to deliver a baby at home, however, is to place the process of giving birth over the goal of having a healthy baby."

Pfff... isn't this what is called *emotional blackmail*...?

Kindly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2