From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:20:51 +0100
Lactnetters,
Magda Sachs said:
>you shared your dilemma with the mother you are supporting
{snip}
>I hope that the organisation you work for can provide you with some supervision
>and support on this one.

I just wanted to clarify that although I am a committed member of
several pro-breastfeeding organisations, I do not have any official
role, nor am I trained as a breastfeeding supporter. When I say
"support", I largely mean moral support, the loan of books (plus
purchase of difficult-to-obtain American books), telephone numbers of
various support organisation, finding an appropiate HCP, print out of
research so that they can show their doctors etc. I don't indulge in any
of the "hands on" stuff and most of the women that come to me will go to
a qualified person, after some encouragement.

In this particular case, the mother has become a friend. We got together
because I was writing an article about her experience of relactation (I
intend to be a writer of healthcare issues). Her brother is a
paediatrician, so she is not lacking in medical support and she has a
shelf full of breastfeeding books, including a more up to date copy of
the BAB than I have! What she lacks is a listening ear, which I can
provide, plus someone who is just so nosey and so interfering that they
will sit up until 2am, hunting Medline for details on the effects of
torticollis on motor development (or whatever). She certainly hasn't the
time, the computer or the obsessive personality.

I often wonder why people come to me (given that I have a reputation for
being a tactless fanatic and always make it crystal clear that I am just
helping "as a friend"), but they do and I have a feeling I am picking up
those women who would not *dream* of rolling up to a LLL meeting. I
sometimes wonder if my bluntness is the attraction - maybe they want
someone to look horrified at the suggestion they wean? I frequently get
phonecalls or emails from women saying "Talk me out of ____".

Having thought long and hard about it, I have concluded that becoming a
breastfeeding supporter in any official capacity would prevent me from
doing so much of what I do do, in the campaigning role; and it is not
what I am good at. I'll stick to my writing, "information brokering" and
generally hasseling people who discourage women from breastfeeding; I
also collect information for others with a more direct role, who perhaps
don't have the time for Lactnet or even own a computer.

Thank you for your concern. I do have a lot of people I can turn to, but
this is a unique situation - a friend in need and all that. I am happy
to fill people in by email if they have any questions.
--
Anna H.
mailto: [log in to unmask]