From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:49:46 -0400
I must take issue with the suspicions about the funding source for the US
National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign that Valerie continues to voice.

Many of the best minds in the breastfeeding field were deeply (daily)
involved in the development of this campaign. The BF experts involved looked
into the funding, scrutinized the philosophy, explored all the connections,
discussed the ideas with the ad agencies and government folks, wrote
letters, attended many meetings, and far more. Literally, no stone was left
unturned in developing this campaign. Not all of the inner details will
become public, which is to be expected in any large operation.

As lactation professionals and breastfeeding advocates, (some of us have
been deeply involved in this for decades), we are acutely aware of financial
linkages that undermine breastfeeding for corporate profit. I personally
wasn't "in" on all the meetings, but I know many of the people who were, and
I trust their expertise, knowledge, ethics, and experience completely. I
know enough of the details to be even more impressed with the integrity and
expertise of those involved. Some of those involved are individuals who have
been on the "firing line" for breastfeeding nationally and internationally
for decades, and know full well what the formula Industry is capable of
doing.

I do not wish to silence the "loyal opposition." Dialogue is good for all of
us. At some point, however, too much suspicion weakens the credibility of
the speaker and the argument, and legitimate concerns may be viewed as just
another instance of "crying wolf." That would be a great loss for everyone.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459

ph 937-438-9458 www.BFLRC.com