From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:49:35 -0500
As I'm behind on my reading, just saw this in the Jan/Feb 2002 issue of
Mother Jones (www.motherjones.com).

"...$4.8 billion...pharmaceutical companies spend annyally to pitch
brand-name drugs to doctors.  There is one drug-company salesman for
every 11 practicing physicinas in the United States...[M]ost doctors
claims that such promotions have no effect on their prescribing habits:
In one study, 61 percent claimed no influence, but only 16 percent
believed other doctors were similarly unaffected...The American Medical
Association has launched a campaign to educate both physicians and the
pharmaceutical industry about its ethical guidelines governing such
gifts.  But weaning itself from industry money is not priving easy:
$645,000 of the campaign's $695,000 cash budget was funded by drug
companies."

Wonder if they through infant formula into the mix?  Probably not!

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA