From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 20:20:08 EDT
In a message dated 6/4/0 7:48:02 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< This idea that we are in trouble legally if we use something for some other

purpose is very disturbing.  Like how could using a syringe to pull out a

nipple be of any concern?  How could using an improvised lactation aid be of

any concern?  We must do the best for our clients.  If we have gotten to

this point of medico-legal hysteria, there is no hope.  Surgeons use

improvised gadgets all the time.  Common sense!!

This certainly has me concerned! When I do labor support, I use a hollow
rolling pin filled with ice for pain relief on the lower back. And, come to
think of it, I use pillows from a bed or couch to lift the baby for nursing,
instead of a nursing pillow. I probably use all kinds of kitchen gadgets for
the wrong purpose, too. This all sounds insane to me. I just cannot make
myself sell products that aren't absolutely necessary. In my experience, much
of mothering involves creative problem-solving, and I think it is good for
parents to think this way. Most of the mothers I work w/ own every possible
baby (isolation) gadget there is. I weigh the long-term effects of one more
gadget in this whole picture and try to avoid them whenever I can. I think
there is a huge psychological disadvantage when parents need to purchase a
product to fix bf problems. I would rather see us improvise whenever possible
and keep bf as much in the realm of nomalcy as we can.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA