From:
Del Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 08:25:05 +0900
Hi Joy and all

My own experience of getting to a diagnosis of child #1 was a rough one and
this story brought back huge bad memories of this process. I can really feel
the grief of this mum and her family.

As many others have said, we know there is very likely a non-breastfeeding
reason for these medical issues. It does sound to me like there is a
congenital disorder of some type. Tongue-tie, gag reflex, constipation (may
be low tine), malnutrition, speech delay, high needs, etc.

The process my first son went through to get diagnosed with an Autism
Spectrum Disorder was GP > Speech Pathologist > GP > Developmental
Paediatrician >  multitude of tests including bloods, urinalysis, hearing,
EEG, (then to be CAT scan if anything unusual but nothing found), plus
others I can't remember - about 15 tests in all to rule out many of the
things others on the list have mentioned - you can imagine as a first time
mother how horrifying this was > referral for an assessment with
Paediatrician/Speech/Occupational Therapist > diagnosis of ASD.

Many parents I have met with the link to disability have gone through all
these hoops only to not have any idea of a diagnosis - some children go for
years of testing and the parents still have no answers.

My suggestion is that this mother see a good Developmental Paediatrician -
and go from there - they can order all the tests I have mentioned, others
have mentioned and more. Of course I would also suggest she keep
breastfeeding if that's what she and the child want to do. As mentioned it
might be the one thing keeping the child alive and bonded to mum and keeping
the mum sane. I remember breastfeeding as being one thing I knew I WAS doing
right for my child amongst all the stressful appointments and tests.

My own story of breastfeeding #1 was similar - Developmental Paediatrician
suggested I could be causing the problem - a fallback to the beliefs of the
50s and 60s that mothers of children with autism were cold (they were called
"refrigerator mums") and didn't nurture their children, and so CAUSED their
developmental problems. Luckily I had a support network that said this was
garbage and I and many confidently say that breastfeeding him for 3 years
has made him the cuddly, loving, affectionate, alert child that he is. :-))

regards
Del
Del Smith
Breastfeeding Counsellor