From:
Carrie Filson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:17:46 -0500
I am Carrie Filson a nursing student at Ivy Tech State College.

Breast feeding women are advised to wait to exercise until 5-8 week
postpartum (http://www.llli.org//FAQ/exercise.html). Why is this?
I read that there are no significant differences in "maternal body
weight or fat less, the volume or composition of the breast milk, the
infant weight gain, or maternal prolactin levels during the 12-week
study..... aerobic exercise performed four or five times per week
beginning six to eight weeks post partum had no adverse effect on
lactation and significantly improved the cardiovascular fitness of the
mothers" (http://www.nursingbaby.com/nursing/exerevi.htm).
So since exercise really doesn't change fat loss, volume, or
composition of breast milk nor has any harmful effects on the infant,
why wait for 5-8 weeks postpartum? Is is because the mothers really
don't feel like it or their body is trying to get back to 'normal'?
Healing of the perineum?....

Carrie Filson ITSN
IVY Tech Community College
Indianapolis, IN