Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:32:57 -0600
The baby with newly-diagnosed CF and who is battling one infection after
another is hanging on.

Thank you all who responded with eagerness for this little one to have
human milk.  Mom asked me to ask this forum for an idea of how much or how
little breastmilk will give her baby a boost to her immune system and for
how long will this milk be necessary for someone to supply this milk.

My suggestion, of course, is that even 1 ounce would be of benefit, but she
wants other opinions on this before she contacts mothers who will pump milk
for her baby. She feels that her baby will have to survive on food other
than human milk, so she wants an idea of how much, or little, will make a
difference.

I gave her my understanding of how the immune system works, but she wants
something more concrete.  It may be because of the lack of enthusiasm of
the MD to go for the breastmilk. Or it may be that she is just sacred to
death.

Does anyone have anything to share with her ?  Opinion, anecdotes, or
published reports? Does she need to find an ounce? 6 ounces? For several
weeks?  Some each day for a long time?

I shared with her an important quotation for me:

"We must always choose between risk and risk."  Bro. David Steindl-Rast

Please respond as soon as you can.

Thanks,
Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee