Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:18:10 -0700
Thank you Michelle for bringing to my attention that I need to clarify something in a post I wrote a few days ago about rice milk.

The discussion was on alternative protein sources for moms who don't want to give cow's milk to supplement or soy milk because of what could possibly be in it, and how it affects us later in life.  I only recommend rice milk in the following instances..... I get a call from a mom with a toddler who is still nursing during the day and at night but wants to supplement with other fluids during the day, but doesn't want cow's milk or soy milk.  I usually get this from my moms that are vegans, or are vegetarian converts just learning how to feed them selves and their children in this way.  I tell them to look for protein sources other than meats, like beans, etc. or if they aren't veggiesaurus' then I tell them that meats are ok for toddlers if cut up small enough.  But I always get this question  "I will do other proteins but my child MUST have milk right?"  I tell them that their breastmilk IS milk, but if they are bent on having another "milk" source then rice milk is an ok alternative.

I certainly would never tell a mom to supplement rice milk in the RDA quantities for cow's milk, yikes, the kid would be bouncing off the walls, rice milk is far sweeter than cow's milk or soy! lol.  Just wanted to clarify.

Now a question...  what is the major difference between soy and organic soy?  does organic soy have the same "bad" things associated with it as regular soy?  And what do you all tell your moms with kids that are say 5 years and allergic to cow's milk?  what if they don't want soy?  do you just tell them that milk isn't needed and get calcium and protein from other sources if they aren't still nursing?

Melisa
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor, IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com
Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and