From:
Alice Ernest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:29:32 EST
Dear Winnie,
     You did mention that this baby's tongue tie was mild.  Lately, I have
seen several  that were thickly adherent to the floor of the mouth.
Recently, had a pediatrician refuse to even see the baby.  Referred her to a
head and neck surgeon in our area who has done a good job with other babies.
He decides on an individual basis whether they need to be done under general
anesthesia or not.  Found out that the reason for hesitation regarding
clipping in our area is because one baby that was clipped in the peds office
started hemorrhaging and needed transport to the hospital.
Sometimes, I think we trivialize the clipping.  Don't think it is always that
simple.  I have seen about 5 tongue ties in the past month.  Three were
simply clipped and babies nursed well.  One is still struggling to nurse
*hindmilk*, and the latest will be done sometime soon in the hospital with
stitches and will most probably have to learn to nurse correctly--we'll see.
BTW, when this mom went back to the ped for a wt. check, she "forced" him to
look at the tongue and he said that she needed a referral to an ENT soon.  We
shouldn't have to struggle with peds not giving referrals and worse yet, not
agreeing to see the baby.  IMHO & in the *perfect* BFing world!
Regards,
Alice Ernest IBCLC
Simpsonville, SC