From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 17:21:38 -0500
I didn't see any response to your question, so I'll quote Dr. Hale's
book:  Vicodin (hydrocodone) is a more potent analgesic in the codeine
class, with one author suggesting that 5 mg every 4 hours has a minimal
effect on nursing infants; recommendation is to attempt to feed prior to
medicating, be cautious with nenonates; observe infant for sedation,
apnea, bradycardia or constipation.  Fioricet is butalbital and
acetaminophen and caffeine, butalbital is a mild, short-acting
barbiturate that probably transfers into breastmilk to a limited degree,
although unreported; recommendation is to observe infant for sedation.
Now I'll add my $.02 worth.  As these are frequently used for headaches
(tension or occasionally for migraines), although you don't say what your
particular client needs them for, perhaps she could use ibuprofen
instead.  It's just as good, and at least we know that it is
breastfeeding compatible.  Good luck, Alicia.  [log in to unmask]