From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:13:27 -0500
I agree with Karen.

Because I wear 2 hats (APN & IBCLC) I am frequently in an uncomfortable
position.  I'm sure other HCPs on Lactnet know what I mean about conflicts.
I know that one of the formula cos. pays for the food at bi-monthly peds
meeting,  on topics like pulmonary or cardiac, etc. But I need to be there.
So I go with my own meal and you'd better believe that the other HCPs know
why. I know that formula cos. pay for food at all day or evening HCP
meetings on subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with mother/baby
care.  I need to hear the new info as an APN, so I will continue to go and
take my own food, not accept trinkets etc.

If I went to hear someone of the caliber of Paula Meier, I think I'm smart
enough to weed out anything that smacks of   her sponsor's views.

I do think that IBCLCs need to hear what the cos are telling our colleagues,
who we are trying to teach differently.  We need to know what they say on a
local level so we can rebut their info.
(Think of yourself as a spy at these meetings :-)

It is complicated and distressing to be put in these positions.  The leading
medical associations are attempting to modify this, but as long as the AAP
accepts formula co funds I view what they say with a jaundiced eye.  My own
professional org NAPNAP accepts formula co funds to my distress.

So we need to be careful when we have to attend this sort of meeting or read
their articles (Do you realize those medical journals we all love to read
are subsidized by formula co money?)  We have to be aware and not accept
things blindly, especially when we know better!  Pat in SNJ