From:
nandan fogelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:13:47 +0200
Hi Everyone,
I worked with one baby who had been using a Calma.  Mother had been told in
the hospital that her nipples were too big and that she had to pump and
bottle feed until baby grew.  At 2 months the mother called me to help
transfer to the breast.  Baby had been fed all this time with a Calma
bottle.  Mom had a full milk supply and was practically bursting when we
met, having put off pumping that morning.  I put Mom and Babe skin to skin.
 Baby went to the breast and gulped milk like crazy.  As soon as the flow
slowed down she fell asleep.  I hung out with the mother until the baby
woke.  This time the baby would not go back to the breast and got
hysterical.  We tried to give her the Calma but she would not take it.
 Apparently, after the instant easy reward of Mom's over full breast she
did not have the patience for a bottle that needed to be sucked in order to
flow.  Mom finally calmed her down with a standard bottle.  I do not know
why, but we never did get this baby to breastfeed - lots of skin to skin,
milk supply kept up, nursing after bottle... nothing worked and I can't
remember if she ever went back to the Calma or not but I was impressed by a
bottle that took more patience and sucking than the mother's over full to
bursting breast.  By the way, mother's nipples weren't large at all (she
took a size medium nipple shield).
I would be interested to see if it would help other babies transfer from
bottle to breast.
All the best,
Chayn in Israel, IBCLC