From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:04:40 -0400
<Do nurses get to count all their work hrs? Or just the hrs
spent in bfing counseling? Who checks on this?>

My understanding is that nurses get to count only the hours spent in direct
Pt contact concerning BFing. (That's what I did, anyway - figured the
percentage of my time spent teaching, counseling, helping get babies on the
breast, troubleshooting re: BF, etc.) At the hospital where I worked, an L&D
nurse would have typically had very little time that would legitimately
count towards those hrs. - helping the baby get on for its initial nsg.
would normally have been about it, and even that was pretty sketchy in most
cases. Important work - yes, very; lots of contact hours - not.

In my opinion, it would be unethical to try to count all your work hours
towards this requirement. And counterproductive, because you really wouldn't
be learning the things you learn in direct BFing support contact.

I don't believe anybody "checks" - you document your hours, but I don't
think they are verified like cerps are, for example.

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY