From:
Amir Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:41:14 +1000
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person - BUT I think
people are seeing conspiracy plots where none exist in this case.

David Tappin says he is loved by breastfeeding supporters in the UK when he
writes about breastfeeding and Baby Friendly (eg recent publication: The
Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative and breast feeding rates in Scotland. Arch
Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2005 Mar;90(2):F114-6. ) and then turned on
when he writes about bed-sharing.

Perhaps the study is flawed (what study isn't?), but there isn't any
conspiracy to scare people away from breastfeeding. Along with Jane Scott
(originally from Perth, Australia), he teaches medical students about
breastfeeding by bringing dozens of breastfeeding women into tutorials.

As breastfeeding supporters, we need to be careful of accepting everything
that appears to support breastfeeding and rejecting everything that we don't
like to hear.

Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia