Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:40:18 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
Can you give me details of the webinar. I might want to try
Hi Marsha,

Can you give me details of the webinar. I might want to try and join.

Yasmin, LLLL
Mumbai, India

Sent: Tue, 24 November, 2009 5:53:48
Subject: Code Discussion

As we continue our discussion about Code issues, I am struck by something a colleague pointed out to me. There is much well-deserved indignation regarding barriers to breastfeeding but not always appropriately targeted. Some of the aim has been at the Code. The Code has turned into a symbol or weapon of how to fight everything that can interfere with breastfeeding, when the Code really is aimed at only one of those barriers. The Code is designed to curb the unethical marketing of products within its scope. It provides guidelines for industries to remove commercial barriers to breastfeeding. Bottles and artificial nipples are the vehicles used to provide breastmilk substitutes to infants and are included within the scope of the Code as they are also vehicles that can deliver pathogens which cause illness and death. Bottles and artificial nipples as I said in a previous post today are marketed in a manner that implies they are equivalent to the breast.
 Almost every artificial nipple has text that describes it as functioning like the breast or similar to breastfeeding. This language idealizes their use and diverts the properties of the breast and breastfeeding onto a substitute. We know that this substitute may have very good reasons for its use, but it does not need to be marketed in a manner that would cause a mother to believe that infant formula and bottles are equivalent to breastmilk and breastfeeding. This is precisely why these products belong under the protection of the Code.

I recently presented a webinar on the Code for the US Lactation Consultant Association (USLCA) where we discussed many of these issues. On January 14, I will be repeating this USLCA webinar and hope that many of you will join in so we can participate in a fruitful discussion.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2